Monday, April 1, 2013

Q and a

Here are some questions I have received about the details of the challenge - and what the answers are:

 

 Q: If say I drink all my water on my chosen FREE day - can that point be used on another day I did not drink all my water?

A. Nope.  FREE day is take it or leave it.  But none of the free day points can be transferred or used to make up for points on any other day of the week.

 

Q: How do I count the exercise points exactly?

A: Every 30 min. counts as 1 point.  Max points for exercise in a week is 14.  You can do as little or as much each day as you would like.  (example: 20 min one day and 1 hour 40 the next).  It also does not have to be consecutive - 10 minutes 6 times during the day is just as good as 1 hour straight for our purposes!  Just keep track of what you do each day and then figure out how many points you earned at the end of the week.  To simplify our lives - we can do half points - so 15 min. equals 1/2 point, but no smaller fractions for the exercise portion.   

 

Q: What if I lose weight one week and gain the next, then lose again?

A:  Weight loss percentage points ONLY count from the lowest recorded weight since the challenge began.  If I weigh 153 and lose 1 pound one week = 152.  Then the next week (vacation week hopefully, right?? :) I gain 2 pounds = 154.  Then the next week I lose 3 points = 151.  You can only count the 152 to 151 loss in your weight loss percentage points.  You don't get points for losing the same weight twice.  There is no penalty/negative points for gaining weight.  Life happens, do better the next week!

 

I must stress that I do not recommend losing more than 1 – 2 pounds per week.  If you are losing more than that consistently you are probably not getting enough calories (which can ruin your metabolism) and will not be something you can realistically maintain.  Just think about it: 8 to 16 lbs in 8 weeks is GREAT – so take it slow if you do have a weight loss goal with this challenge.

 

Q: What if I can't run/walk during the 1/2 marathon week to get the miles in?

A: I know with knee/hip/foot problems, this could be an issue.  If its absolutely NECESSARY (really due to injury only) - the elliptical can count toward the miles and so can biking - but on a bike 4 miles riding will equal 1 mile walk/run (I’ve done both and I think this is fair).  

 

Q: Can I make up points for my partner if they get sick?

A: Nope, no making up missed points for yourself or anyone else.  Sorry.

 

Q: Can I change my spiritual goal halfway through the competition?

A: Yes!  The Spiritual Goal point is totally personal!  You can do the same thing the whole 8 weeks, you can change goals halfway if you feel you have created a habit, you can even set a new goal each week if that is what you want to do.  Just be sure to SET A GOAL and accomplish it DAILY to earn your point . . .  although we all know this category is far more important than just earning points.

 

I wanted to give you a few tips and emphasize a few things as well.

 

Fruits/Veggies:  This can be challenging if you are not used to it.  The easiest way to get in your fruits/veggies is doing a smoothie/green drink.  Getting 2 – 4 servings in a drink makes the last few servings in the rest of the day much easier.  My tip is to find a recipe that you ACTUALLY LIKE so that you WANT to drink it every day.  Finding a couple different recipes that you like is even better so you can change it up!  If you need to put a little less spinach in it so its more appealing – that’s okay . . . a little and enjoying is better than too much and not doing it at all.  Try different combos of ingredients – add some peanut butter, oatmeal, cinnamon, honey . . .  whatever it takes till you find a flavor/texture you enjoy!  As always, Pintrest is an awesome resource.

 

Exercise: 7 hours a week is not a small feat.  But it’s supposed to be a CHALLENGE right!!??  I personally don’t usually exercise on Sunday so that requires some extra work a couple days a week to get all my points.  I will, however, take nice walks with family/friends on Sunday as the weather permits and that DOES count.  Also, STRETCHING counts as exercise.  Stretching for most of the exercise in a week probably won’t give you the results you are looking for (unless it’s actual YOGA), but stretching is a very important, often overlooked, part of exercise that is so good for our bodies.  So use 10 – 15 min a day to stretch those worked out muscles.  Or a longer stretching session on Sunday to relieve the hard work from the week is something I do occasionally as well.  To be clear – massages are NOT exercise, as much as I wish they were. 


 

Let me know if anything else needs clarification!

 

Thanks!

Rachelle

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment